Saturday, April 07, 2007

High Seas Soap Opera

Greetings Fishies!

I had to watch the premier of Deadliest Catch Season Three a couple of times just to be sure of what I was seeing. The editing of this episode fascinates me and if Sig Hansen and Larry Hendricks are consulting on this they should be ashamed.

There is something that needs to be re-stated here and that is this: you are seeing eight boats out of 81 total that fished in the 2006 king crab season. That’s a touch under 10% of the boats. If any of you believe that these boats are the real high-liners of the fleet you would be very sadly mistaken. The numbers head north dramatically when opilio season rolls around with some boats delivering in excess of a million pounds.

Right now I am wondering what on earth possessed any of these men to allow those cameras on the boats. I know, for you who are not familiar with the industry and those involved you are getting a look at what they do; it’s an education of sorts I guess. And it gives me a whole host of topics for blogs along with the idiotic stuff on forums and message boards.

Stay tuned!

<’)))>{

2 comments:

Bones said...

Part of my problem with DC (a show I love, BTW), is the license they take with the show.

The Northwestern has been portrayed as the "top money maker" each season, although many, many ships NOT on DC are much more successful.

The Season 3 premiere marred by the vague idea that a crab boat went down. My goodness, the boat was in the Gulf of Alaska fishing cod, not part of the crab fleet! (not that it makes it any less tragic)

The Maverick/Blake saga last year was a made-for-tv drama if I ever saw one. Same with the Hiram and Pico dramas.

The posing for the cameras done by the NW crew is idiotic. Safety first? Not when one of them seems fascinated by fire!

IMO, the first documentary "Deadliest Job in the World" and the 3-part America's Deadliest Season show that spawned DC were the "real deal."

Deadliest Catch 3 is looking more like the Survivor made-for-tv drama than an actual depiction of crab fishing.

The Fish Wife said...

Bones you must be reading my mind! You and I are in total agreement about those earlier shows being the "real deel".
As for the whole Maverick flap, I am doing my homework on that one. Going to let DC and all those couch captains who have never met a fisherman let alone been to sea continue to make fools of themselves.
I love your Survivor analogy!