Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Deadliest Catch article in Men’s Journal Magazine Part 2

Greetings Fishies!

Warning – graphic language!

More excerpts from the article:

“In the hey day of crabbing, says Jonathan Hillstrand, who co-owns a Deadliest Catch boat called the Time Bandit, an ordinary deckhand could make six figures. “I was making $120 grand a year then,” he told me, “and blowing it all on women and marijuana and cocaine. I always got the presidential suite with the hot tub.” That was in the early 1980’s, when Hillstrand was 17. The king crab peaked in 1980 at 12.9 million pounds, then crashed completely, and has been in a slow recovery since 1983.

“Sig Hansen’s biggest rival on Deadliest Catch is none other than Jonathan Hillstrand, of the Time Bandit, which he owns with his brothers. Now 44 years old, Hillstrand is broad-boned , with scraggly long hair, a full goatee and a hooligan’s smirk. Hillstrand usually wears a black leather USA jacket in the wheelhouse, with a black baseball cap turned backward and white snakeskin cowboy boots, and is not shy about expressing his opinions, especially those pertaining to Hansen, whom he deems “a pretty boy.”

“Sig’s a dumbass,” Hillstrand told me as he polished off one shot of Crown Royal after another in a cramped Unalaska bar called Latitudes. * “If I hit him, his grandchildren would be stupid.”

“As a captain, Hillstrand enjoys near-Ahab omnipotence, as well as responsibility. “Being a captain is almost like being above the law. I could kill five people by fucking up on the ocean and then just go get five more guys. If you killed five guys on land, with a car, you’d get manslaughter, at least.”

“With vague coherency he began describing the troubles he’s had with his help. “I’ve beat up a few crew members. It’s not a good thing, the lawsuits and shit, but one time I beat up some guys on my crew. One of them brought some booze onboard, and he was urinating in the stateroom. Then (after some fisticuffs) the whole crew tried to mutiny, so I just took ‘em to town, and told them, ‘Well, motherfuckers, if you think you’re gonna sue, shut the fuck up, because I’m gonna beat your ass.’ I was pretty fuckin pissed.”

Donohue then goes on to describe Hillstrands behavior with the bartender – lobing quarters at her cleavage – and a joke so offensive that I can’t bring myself to reprint it.

Donahue continues: “He downed one last shot, then abruptly shifted gears. “Twenty drinks is my limit. I’m drunk. I’m drunker than 25 Indians. I’m going home.”

Apparently Donahue was there when the Time Bandit received her safety inspection from the Coast Guard. One item that needed attention was the medical kit. He adds in that every crab boat must, by law, carry a crew member trained in First Aid, ready to perform a tracheotomy or a thumb amputation if need be. He captures some of the banter between the brothers, but makes them sound like fools.

He continues:

“Senator Stevens’ rationalization plan has created a new sea creature; the rich, shore hugging crabman. To make money now, a crab boat owner who no longer needs to b other with hiring crew and starting his engine; instead he can rent his quota, which he effectively owns, to another boat owner, who will then fish for crab. One such “crab-lord” is former captain Larry Hendricks, who now works as a consultant for Deadliest Catch. “I just pay another boat a dollar a pound to catch my crab”, he said…..The crewmen and captains who do the fishing will run all the risk for their buck a pound. “I’ll make about $300,000 this season,” Hendricks guessed, “just sitting on the beach.”

**********

It’s my understanding that Bill Donahue was in Unalaska for quite some time. During his visit there he interviewed at length the majority of those involved in the Deadliest Catch. What he chose to write and the way that he did it was, in my opinion, underhanded. Let’s remember that the boats were tied up at the beginning of the king crab season due to a price dispute with the processors. The majority of the guys gathered at the local watering holes and did what most bored fishermen I know do – got hammered. Rest assured that Donahue was throwing them back right along with everyone else, he just didn’t write about that.

Throughout the article there are references to other fishermen and his description of them is both unflattering and demeaning. Looks like Donahue just plain doesn’t like fishermen.

Stay tuned!

<’)))>{

*Formerly known as The Elbow Room

4 comments:

Bren said...

After reading both of your entries, I must totally agree with you about Donahue. I guess he is one to shoot himself in the foot or does he work for one of the sleezy tabloids? I'd say that is a big NO on any follow up interviews, eh? LOL

These are all hard working men who put their pants on one leg at a time! Oh dear, they drink???? I'm shocked...NOT!!!! What would be shocking is if they occasionally didn't!!! So do I and so do many of us. Are these men alcoholics?? I seriously doubt it as then they wouldn't have reached their stature as "Big Dogs" of the Bering Sea and top money makers now would they? Who among us doesn't have a flaw or two but isn't that what makes us all unique and special?

Personally my favorite color is emerald green but would I want everything in my world to be that color?? HELL NO!

These guys all have my respect and admiration for jobs very well done and that will not change unless I decide it!!! No amount of opinions or yellow journalism by others I neither know nor respect will change this ladies mind!

As usual, you rock FW!!!!

Love and Peace to you!!

XOXOXOXOXOXO

The Fish Wife said...

Thanks and well said Bren!

Eric said...

It's the nature of media story-tellers, I think. What you describe reminds me a lot of how the military and its affairs are often portrayed. I served in the Army for 4 years, which gives me some perspective on the military community and people. Over the last 6 years, friends of mine serving in Iraq and Afghanistan have often remarked how skewed have been media reports about people, areas and events they were personally involved with over there. Not fabrications as much as that the media story-tellers have customized the facts to the story, and not the other way around.

The media is powerful and important because it's our only window to things far from many of us, like the military or Alaskan fishermen, in a society where social opinion makes a difference. For that reason, it's important we understand how the media distorts what it shows us.

The Fish Wife said...

Eric
First let me thank you and all of your buds for your service to our country. I am sadly aware that the media skews and distorts the truth in regards to both the military and almost any other high impact job.
In this particular instance the writer of the article was probably intimidated by the reality of these men. Far too often as you well know, they never get close to real men.
Do you think that perhaps Donahue was beaten up for his lunch money?